Exploring Waterford's Ancient Monuments
Located 3.5km north of the village of Stradbally, this is one of Waterford’s most interesting sites.
Known locally as the "Ogham Cave", it was discovered by a farmer in 1867. Ten Ogham stones were found built into the walls and roof of a souterrain measuring 3.5 m long, 1.5m wide and 1.2 meters in height.
In 1936 five of the stones were erected each side of the now exposed souterrain with just three remaining as roof stones. It is thought that the stones were pilleged from local cemeteries for the construction of the souterrain which could have been used for storage or defence from invasion around 800-900AD.
The site, which is enclosed by a wooden fence, is located out in the middle of a field normally used for cattle grazing.
Inside the 'Ogham Cave'
The ten oghamised stones used in the construction of the souterrain have been read as follows;
MANU MAGUNO GATI MOCOI MACORBO
CALUNOVIC[A] MAQI MUCOI LIT[ENI]
MAQI INI[...MAQI QE]TTEAS
CUNALEGEA MAQIC[....]SALAR CELI AVIQVECI
BIGU MAQI LAG[...]
BIR MAQI MUCOI ROTTIS
...] MAQI NE[TACUN]AS
DENAVEC[A MU]COI MEDALO
SOVALINI DEAGOS MAQI MUCO[I..NAI
Directions: Travel on the N25 south from Waterford City.
After the exit for Kilmacthomas take the next left exit which is signposted for Stradbally. Go straight through the first crossroads which is at 1.5km. A further 2km on there is a farm track on the right which leads up to a cottage and yard. Do not park on this private property which is a working farm. Continue on passed farm entrance to a forest entrance on the right and follow the path up through forest . You would be advised to get permission from the land owner.
A delightfully situated monument
Read about Here
Waterford's tallest standing stone is located 5 km from Tramore. The impressive stone measures 3.7m in height. See it Here
Types of Monument on this website
Main website image
Most Visited Page in Last 30 Days
Website last updated
14 July 2018
Check out some recent finds
Map of Waterford
showing major monuments