Exploring Waterford's Ancient Monuments
Mount Melleray - Ogham Stones
Mount Melleray Cistercian Abbey near Cappoquin is the proud guardian of five Ogham Stones.
The stones are part of the ‘Buaille na gCuimhnte’ exhibition, which translated means the Courtyard of Memories.
The exhibition outlines in words and pictures the history of the Abbey which was founded in the early 1800's.
The Ogham stones on display were brought here around 1910 from Kilgrovan, Ballinacourty near Dungarvan by Canon P Power who was a one time professor of Archaeology in University College Cork.
The five stones lay in a fenced off grove of trees at Melleray for over 40 years. In 1977 they were moved indoors and were erected in the foyer of the old secondary school before eventually being moved to their present location.
They are housed in a lovely exhibition area in the refurbished farm buildings which were built between 1837 and 1842.
Directions: From Cappoquin take the R669 signposted for Cahir. After 2.5 km take a right turn signposted for Mount Melleray. A further 1 km along this road you will reach the entreance to the monastery on the left.
Other sites in this area - Glennafallia - Cairn
A delightfully situated monument
Read about Here
Waterford's tallest standing stone is located 5 km from Tramore. The impressive stone measures 3.7m in height. See it Here
Types of Monument on this website
Main website image
Most Visited Page in Last 30 Days
Website last updated
23 March 2017
Check out some recent finds
Map of Waterford
showing major monuments